Ghanaian journalist, Kevin Taylor has confirmed that president Akufo-Addo, together with his senior Minster Yaw Osafo Marfo , have contracted the deadly disease but has kept quiet over it to calm down nerves and set the Ghanaian mind on how the combat the pandemic which yesterday claimed the lives of 308 people in Italy alone.
The loudmouth stated in one of his radio shows that the President has tested positive for coronavirus has become quiet over the issue not to throw the country into a state of panic and fear. The deadly disease has made many countries to place a ban on the their public officials and also close their borders to avoid foreigners from bringing coronavirus which can kill a person within 14 days if no medication is taken.
He indicated that the president and the Senior Minister got infected with disease at the recent 69 birthday party for the first lady, Rebecca akufo held at Peduase Lodge. According to Kevin Taylor, a source at the Jubilee House disclosed to him but it has not yet been confirmed as the president has kept mute on the matter.
“They got these traces from when they had a party at the Peduasi lodge. As we speak, both the President and Senior Minister have been quarantined,” he said.
Meanwhile the president addressed the nation yesterday on the reported number of coronavirus cases in the country which is 6. Also president made mention of the steps put in place by government to help fight the pandemic admonishing Ghanaians to take preventive measures to help fight coronavirus in the country as it has found it way into the country.
The president noted in his address to the nation that all public gatherings such as funerals, weddings church services etc. have been suspended for four weeks and also all schools ranging from basic schools to tertiary institutions have been shut down until further notice.
This is what the president said:
- All public gatherings, including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, sporting events and religious activities, such as services in churches and mosques, have been suspended for the next four (4) weeks. Private burials are permitted, but with limited numbers, not exceeding twenty-five (25) in attendance;
- All Universities, Senior High Schools, and basic schools, i.e. public and private schools, will be closed Monday, 16th March, 2020, till further notice. The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication, has been tasked to roll out distance learning programmes. However, BECE and WASSCE candidates will be allowed to attend school to prepare for their examinations, but with prescribed social distancing protocols;
- The Government of Ghana’s Travel Advisory issued earlier today should be observed as announced;
- Businesses and other workplaces can continue to operate, but should observe prescribed social distancing between patrons and staff;
- Establishments, such as supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, hotels and drinking spots, should observe enhanced hygiene procedures by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands;
- The Ministry of Transport should work with the transport unions and private and public transport operators to ensure enhanced hygienic conditions in all vehicles and terminals, by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands; and
- The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development should co-ordinate, with the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, measures to enhance conditions of hygiene in markets across the country.
The deadly disease which was discovered some few months ago is spreading into different parts of the world causing fear and panic among men and women. Symptoms of the deadly virus begins with throat being infected making the patient have sore throat for about 4 day. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia for about five days. After the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing leading to death if no medication is taking. But for now there is no prescribed medication for Coronavirus. However, it is being speculated that one of the cures for coronavirus is by taking in alcoholic drinks which makes the body produce heat and this can kill the virus because the virus needs a cool place to thrive. Also, the sun is another best cure for those who have contracted the disease because the virus hates heat.